If you are anything like me this link may just be a saving grace. I struggle to come up with new meals for the family, I am really lucky that my girls will eat just about anything, but the same old fish-lamb chops-schnitzel and veggies can get a bit boring.
Kate at Kate says stuff is helping all the menu challenged mums out there (like me!) with a menu sharing link, this is a recipe I tried out the other day and the whole family went back for seconds......
Chicken and Vegetable Pie
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 500g chicken thigh, trimmed and chopped
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup mixed chopped vegetables (I use frozen peas corn carrot mix)
- 1/2 35g packet french onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1/3 cup light thickened cooking cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
for the topping
- 750g chopped potato
- 1/4 cup milk
1) To make topping, cook potato for 8-10 mins in salted water. Drain, add salt and pepper to taste, milk and mash.
2) Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Heat half the olive oil in a pan and cook chicken in batches until brown. Transfer to a plate.
3) Heat remaining oil and cook onion and garlic until soft. Add veggies, cook until softened. Add soup mix, stock, mustard and cream. Stir to combine.
4) Return chicken to pan. Simmer 5 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Add parsley. Transfer to a 6 cup pie dish, spread potato over the top.
5) Cook for 15-20 minutes until top is golden.
** This has quite a strong mustard taste, so reduce mustard to 1/2 tablespoon if you want it a bit more subtle.
This was so warming on a chilly winters night, it takes a little while to prepare but is worth it!!