Monday, December 12, 2011

Bad Mummy Moments ....

       My girls are not babies any more. At nearly six and just three, I think sometimes they have missed out on things that others would consider a rite of passage for a child.

      Example #1 - They have never had a photo taken with Santa.  Every year I would think - "This year. This year we'll do it." My fear I suppose is that the photo would turn out something like this....

"Get me the f*#k out of here!" (Source)
    Years ago, a girlfriend described an horrific trip with her two boys to see Santa - the yelling, the crying, the bribery and the resultant crappy shot that they still had to pay for.

    I kept thinking why would you bother? Who are these photos for? For Great Aunt Millie who never gets to see the kids? For Gran and Pop to put on the mantle? OK, perhaps I'm playing Scrooge for the sake of own sanity, and I know there are many, many families who have no dramas at all with the whole photo with the guy in the red suit gig.

    I'd love to hear others opinions - have you struggled through the photo with Santa, or do the kids boldly sit on his knee, reciting a well practiced list of possible Christmas morning bounty? How do you answer hard hitting questions like " How can Santa be here and and the other shops too Mum?" Or do you, like me just walk calmly past the line and think, "if they ask we will, if they don't - I'm off the hook!"
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...